1895 NAPTHA LAUNCH BY GAS ENGINE & POWER CO.
SUBMITTED BY THE EXHIBITORS
Barbara D’Anneo – presented by Lew Dobbins
Nevada City, California
Make: 1895 Naptha Launch by Gas Engine & Power Co.
Model: Naptha Steam Launch
Engine: Union Gas Engine Co.
Hull #: n/a
Concours Catagory: Lakers & Launches
Cathedral was built in 1895 as a Naptha Steam Launch. Naphthalene, a low flash point, highly volatile gasoline, was used both as a fuel source AND was boiled/vaporized to run through the “steam” engine providing the propulsion. The low pressure vapor exhausted was then condensed back to liquid in cooling coils affixed to the lake side of the keel and back to the fuel tank. Most all Naptha engines blew up! Thus, Cathedral has a replacement engine purchased new in 1910 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Tahoe City. The engine is a 2 cylinder, 7 Horse Power, 4 stroke utilizing a make–brake ignition system from The Union Gas Engine Company, of Oakland, CA.
The Barbara D’Anneo & Lew Dobbins families proudly present Cathedral in memory of the late Paul Francis D’Anneo.
Cathedral has spent most of her life on Lake Tahoe and Fallen Leaf Lake. Her previous assignment was that of a work boat for the Ebrite family and operated as Murvic by Muriel and Victor Lundeen. 1951 saw her in disrepair and not needed any further, as such, Victor scuttled her in the middle of Fallen Leaf Lake. Paul, never having restored a boat, raised her from the depths in 1972. Retired at the time, Paul spent the next 2 years on the restoration. She was renamed Cathedral for the peak above the now 100 plus year-old family house on Fallen Leaf Lake. She been in use every summer there from 1974 to 2016.
TAHOE MARITIME CENTER
She was a centerpiece of the Tahoe Maritime Center’s 2017 display in Tahoe City. With her popularity in the museum, it was only fitting to honor Paul and run her on Tahoe and Fallen Leaf this year.